Kids Making It Volunteer ApplicationWant to Volunteer with Kids Making It? Get started below!
Volunteer Information Sheet
Kids Making It (KMI)
- national award-winning, year-round woodworking program dedicated to inner city and at risk youth.
- a safe alternative to the streets, crime and gangs,
- strengths-based approach through woodworking, vocational and art skills training, teaching patience, tolerance, & perseverance
- youth hone social & entrepreneurial skills through retail experience in KMI gift shop
- youth earn good honest income, 100% of profits from their product sales
- strong mentoring environment instills patience, pride, confidence and teamwork, while building character through consistent modeling of the golden rule, community service projects, and imparting the truth of actions and consequences.
A Bit of History
Kids Making It started as a volunteer effort by Director Jimmy Pierce in 1994, who left his law practice in 1996 to develop KMI into a full-time program. Beginning with hand tools and a temporary space, KMI now boasts a full-fledged shop with power tools and a retail store in the Jacobi warehouse in historic downtown Wilmington where our kids sharpen their skills, meet and greet the public, and sell their creations. We teach job-readiness skills, and, through our social worker, provide individual and vocational counseling for our kids & their families. All staff and our dedicated volunteers teach, & our youth-mentor ratio is <3:1.
Our Vision: To Be Open to the Kids 7 Days a Week, 9am to 9pm
Everyday, more than 400 kids are on the streets in our community, suspended or dropped out of school with little structure, accountability, focus or supervision. We are not a revenue generator – the profits from all sales go directly back to our kids. We rely upon unpredictable grants to keep our doors open. Our goal is sustainability – the day Kids Making It becomes sustained for the long term is the day we can throw our doors open wide all day long, every day, to the kids!
Volunteer Needs Today
- Help staff our Kids Making It booth at various festivals and events (mainly weekends)
- Woodworking and/or Art Instruction ( can learn from other volunteers, if interested)
- Help with KMI fund raising activities
- Inventory/ market for sale surplus equipment & wood donated to our program (i.e. Craigslist, etc.)
- Marketing – improve KMI search results / build-out our Social Media exposure
- Grant writing
Please call us at (910) 763-6001 or email KMI at email@example.com with questions, or to set-up an appointment.